Jan 10, 2009

poem

THIS IS WHEN I SHUT MY EYES

At around three in the morning
there was a halo over everything
and your head was no exception
As the train slowed and released me onto the platform
I laid down my guitar and through the flakes
caught the horse and rider
You smiled at me with hidden hands and white teeth
and there was one of everything
1 street lamp
1 Toyota
1 of you
and
1 of me
but billions upon billions of snowflakes suspended
offered up as alms to a gentle December moon

this is when I close my eyes

I see you playing etudes on an old upright piano
with snow covered pedals
in a field of spent corn stalks
sitting on a bench stuffed with sheet music
Then the fox appears
that half-hunter with it's patchy coat
It stops to smell the small of your back
then cuts a crooked figure directionless
deaf to your music
in search of anything that moves

this is when I open my eyes

You had not moved an inch
a statue made of prairie wind
still waiting, waiting, waiting
to show me the place where I would sleep soundly
near the fire and your dreaming dog
the one full of secrets



2 Comments:

Anonymous gt said...

my nose is whistling like a sleepy dog, its behind points out saturn and our neighbours car. funny chewed and spat tobacco lying next to my knees. chilli dog grinding in my gut. ahah!

June 14, 2009 at 6:51 AM  
Anonymous Susan Llewelyn said...

What a beautiful poem. You are very talented. Sue x

November 26, 2010 at 12:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home